Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Hair Care

For me, hair has always been intriguing. All the different hair textures, lengths and styles that represent black women make our race beautiful, diverse and unlike any other race. Our hair ranges from curls to kinks and varies in density and color. Even within my own family, you will find waves, locks, braids, and weaves. There is however one thing in common about all these different hair types…they all require regular care and maintenance. Our hair is prone to beakage and can be fragile and tempramental, so it’s up to us to be proactive about our hair health. For me, it was (and still is) all about trial and error. Here are some things I learned about my hair with the styles I wear most frequently.

Braids

I was 6 years old when I got my 1 set of dookie braids. I got them done at Shopper’s World on LaBrea and Rodeo…lol. What an experience! I kept them in for one month and quite a bit of my hair ended up on the floor by the time my mom took them out. Looking back, I learned that with these dookie braids, there was way too much strain on my hair follicles and my fine hair could not take the heavy weight of a thick braid. When I wear braids now, I make sure my braider understands how much hair to add to each individual or cornrow. I also make sure I grease my scalp on a regular basis to keep it moisterized so that my hair doesn’t become too brittle.

Weaves

When I got my first weave, I knew it wasn’t going to be the last. I went to school out of town so weaves were convenient, versatile and easy for me to manage. But all too often the misconception with weaves is that once you get them, you can forget about your own hair. It is really important to condition your weave just as you would your own hair, because after all your hair is still up under there. When wearing weaves, try getting hot oil treatments, reconstructor conditioning treatments. Also, make sure you trim the dead ends off any of the hair you leave out to prevent further beakage.

Press & Curl

When I’m between braids and weaves, I normally wear a press and curl. This style allows me to give my hair a break from the pulling and tugging of ponytails or braids and gives my hair a chance to be free. But with press and curls, it’s important that you monitor the heat on your pressing combs or flat irons, because too much heat will burn your hair out. Cellophanes are a great way to protect your hair and add shine to your hair. Colored cellophanes are also a great alternative to harsh chemicals in hair dye.

These are just a few of my tips. Feel free to post some of your hair care tips or favorite styles.

--Kyle Holland
Brownstone Team

No comments:

Post a Comment