Friday, April 30, 2010

Brownstone Women's Spotlight: A Profile of Liana Henry

Liana Henry is a woman with a vision who sees the world as her oyster. A graduate of Hampton University, with a degree in Broadcast Journalism, Henry currently works for the U.S. General Services Administration providing legal advice. Recently, I spoke with her and was amazed by how similar our interests in community development are. It was inspiring to talk with someone focused on being involved in her community. She continues upon a legacy of service that she learned from her parents.

Amelia Jones (AJ): As a young girl, who inspired you?

Liana Henry (LH): My father, who worked for the Federal Government but also became a lawyer. I would often watch him working out of his home office while I was growing up and remember how he always took new cases, interested in helping people. Now he has retired from Federal service but continues to take small cases to help people secure their rights.

AJ: Did you always know that you wanted to be a lawyer, what other occupations did you consider?

LH: Pursuing law was always in the back of my mind. I looked up to my father who took the practice of law very seriously, even though it was his part-time job. While in high school I took an interest in debate team and also got the chance to take college pre-law classes through a summer program because I was curious and wanted to understand the law. Later I considered being a journalist but ultimately, I decided on law.

AJ: What was your major in college, did you choose this with law in mind?

LH: Since most schools did not offer a pre-law curriculum, I had to find a major that would give me the skills and background to perform well in law school. I decided to major in Mass Media Arts, Broadcast Journalism. I was able to improve my communications skills while taking a broad array of classes required for my major. I got the chance to be creative, doing projects for radio and television. It was a lot of fun and good preparation for the future.

AJ: Talk about your college experience, what ways do you believe you changed during these years?

College was a wonderful experience. I think you learn who you are when you are in college. You have to make decisions for yourself and begin to learn independence. I got to try new things in college. Professors got me excited about political and social issues. I was very active and outspoken about community issues and got involved in service activities. During college, I learned just what I am capable of and I surprised myself. I spoke publicly in front of more than 1,000 people. I worked at the radio station as an On-Air Announcer for jazz, blues, and R&B radio shows. I even helped start a women’s media organization and served as the host of our television program covering campus life. College was an adventure for me and I grew as a result. I believe I left college with greater confidence.

AJ: What inspired you to go into public service?

LH: As a child I volunteered a lot! I tutored for years, took meals to the elderly and disabled, helped at a community center, and read books to kindergarten children. Now I work for the Federal government and I love the fact that my job helps the people of our country.

AJ: What black women inspire you today?

LH: I am inspired by Oprah because she hasn’t let barriers stand in her way. Women who have a vision inspire me, and you see that with Oprah. She is rooted in what is important; she gives, she has compassion, she cares. I also admire Michelle Obama, because of all the work she does to give back. You can tell that she has a selfless heart.

AJ: What advice do you have for our Brownstone readers?

LH: Do something, and get involved in giving back now because these are the activities that will teach you about yourself, as well as, your community. Trying something new may help you to decide what you want to do eventually.



--Amelia Jones
Brownstone Intern

1 comment:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete