Friday, October 8, 2010

College: As Simple as 1, 2, 3



First semester of college is underway and you're finally getting into the groove of things. It’s exciting, scary and liberating all at the same time. Who would've thought new best friends, new teachers and a brand new perspective on life would become the new normal. Don’t you wonder how everything will turn out? Which major to choose and what those 1st semester grades will look like? I know for me, I was definitely anxious about a lot, but after my 1st semester in college, I realized it was "as simple as 1, 2, 3.” It didn’t take long to get into the routine of going to class, attending meetings, volunteering (and eating lots of good food). My journey from high school to college was fun, and I'm so thankful I made it to the other side. Here’s a list of some of my experiences, memories and just stuff I learned along the way….A to Z.

Always strive for an A.

B’s are good too…just B on time to class!

Confidence is key.

Don’t let harder classes intimidate you.

Eat home cooked food whenever you can...you can't have Top Ramen and Easy Mac for every meal.

Favorite college paper topic/questions: Does the media reflect public opinion, or establish public opinion?

Graduate! Focus on graduating. It will really keep you focused! Besides, you're not doing all this for nothing, right?

Have an open mind to everything (your first day of school, the people you’ll befriend, and new discoveries).

I am somebody, and I won’t be stopped by nobody, I got my fist in the air and the movement in my feet, I got love for my people and it starts with me!”

Jog, dance, hike. Do whatever gets you moving. That freshman 15 will creep!

Kreativity puts a whole new spin on boring assignments.

Learn, laugh, love.

Mass Communications. This was my major in college. I loved it!

N*gg*r…racism is real. It’s subtle so don’t let it hit you in the face.

One in every three girls on college campuses is raped or sexually assaulted.

Plagarism is a no no!!! Have academic integrity PLEASE!

Question everything.

Read. There will be some stuff you have to read that you’ll hate, but it’s all worth it once you read something that means a lot to you.

Study study study! Study groups always worked best for me.

Teenage pregnancies can make going to college tough so think twice.

Umoja. This is one of the seven principles of Kwanzaa and it means to strive for and to maintain unity in the family, community, nation, and race.

Voice your opinions and thought and listen to others’.

Work hard, play hard.

X—DARE to be different.

Y not do a semester at sea? Take a film class? Become a mentor? This is why college is cool.

Zzzzz…no snoring in class!


-- Kyle Holland
Brownstone Team

No comments:

Post a Comment