Monday, November 8, 2010

Tips for Overcoming Personal Statement Writer's Block

It's that time of the year for seniors: College Applications! Dun, dun, DUN... For those applying to UCs and CSUs the November 30th deadline is fastly approaching. One critical element of the college application process (and in my opinion the hardest part) is writing your personal statement. A personal statement allows a school to get a glimpse of who you are as a person outside of the academics. Your personal statement gives you a chance to tell your story.

So, you may be thinking "What exactly am I supposed to write about?" Well the answer is simple...YOU. Your life experiences, amibitions, inspirations, etc. I heard many cases where people wrote about obstacles they overcame (like deaths in the family, pregnancy, drugs, etc) or situations that challenged them (i.e. growing up poor, single parent household, raising siblings). If this doesn't ring a bell for you, don't worry! Just because you didn't live a hard knock life doesn't mean that you don't have a story to tell. Talk about an experience that makes you unique, your hopes and dreams, why college is important to you. Everyone has a story that needs to be heard.

Personal statements for UCs and CSUs were open-ended when I was applying to college. (I think they ask you a specific question now) I didn't have a tough childhood (not to discredit anyone else's story) so I chose to write about my involvement in an organization called Young Black Scholars (YBS) and how it prepared me for college. I was honest about my experience, stating that I hated getting up early on my Saturday mornings to attend these college prep workshops. But I also explained the value in these programs and how they helped me develop discipline and an appreciation for higher learning. Yes, this was a simple story, but I was able to show my desire to excel and growth as a student. Writing my personal story was hard and required many, many drafts. Remember it can be done! Here are some personal tips to writing a great personal statement:
  • Keep it Real/Stay True to Yourself. Don't make up things to make yourself to make your story sound juicer than it is. Be honest about your experiences.
  • Get Creative. Don't just tell your story! Paint a picture and leave the school feeling like they know you. I started my personal statement with a funny anecdote to draw the reader in.

  • Don't be Afraid to Expose your Faults. If you received bad grades don't be afraid to explain why. Or maybe you have a parent on drugs. Don't be afraid to show your weaknesses or talk about disadvantages that may have held you back. The key is to expose your faults and explain how you overcame them.

  • Show Growth. It's important to show what you've learned from a situation.
  • Don't Restate What's on your Application. Your application is like your resume. When writing your personal statement try to talk about a situation that isn't easily seen on your application. Allow the reader to learn something new about you.
  • Answer the Question. Read the prompt carefully and answer only what they ask you. Try not to go off topic and definitely stick to the word count you're given.

  • Peer Review: Ask your teachers, counselors, parents, etc review your personal statement before you submit it. It's important to get different perspectives during the editing process.

Good luck writing your personal statement! If you would like help, please feel free to contact me at BrownstoneMag@gmail.com




-- Tymika Morrison
Brownstone Team

1 comment: