Friday, September 18, 2009

Music Makeover



When you listen to music, do you ever listen to the words you’re rockin out to? Do you like what you hear? Some songs may have tight beats that make you wanna dance. Other songs may have lyrics that express exactly what you feel. Well, for me, I like songs that inspire me and make me feel beautiful and confident. My personal favorite is “Superwoman” by Alicia Keys. Like many of her fans, she empowers me to find my inner strength, particularly during hard times. Most importantly, she makes me proud to be a woman! (check out a snippet below):

Everywhere I'm turning
Nothing seems complete
I stand up and I'm searching
For the better part of me


I hang my head from sorrow
State of humanity
I wear it on my shoulders
Gotta find the strength in me


'Cause I am a Superwoman
Yes I am, yes she is
Still when I'm a mess, I still put on a vest
With an S on my chest
Oh yes, I'm a Superwoman'

On the other hand, there are songs that are just as popular as the one mentioned above, except the message is the complete opposite. These would include songs that objectify women and give oversexualized, docile portrayals of women. One that comes to mind is “Everygirl” by Lil Wayne feat. (check out snippet below):

Girl I got that dope d#@k
Now come here let me dope you
You gon' be a dope fiend
Your friends should call you dopey
Tell 'em keep my name out they mouth if they don't know me
Huh
But you can come and tunecha
I'll f#@k the whole group
Baby I'm a groupie

My sex game is stupid
My head is the dumbest
I promise
I should be hooked on phonics
Yea


Are songs like these problematic? If young ladies and women like myself can feel inspired by a song like Alicia Keys’ “Superwoman,” then how should we feel when we hear songs that demean our identity?

--Kyle Holland
Brownstone Team

No comments:

Post a Comment