Monday, September 20, 2010

Roadmap to True Beauty



As I was cleaning my room the other day, I decided to watch some On Demand music videos to break the monotony of the task. I skimmed through my video choices and decided on Ciara’s “Ride.” I turned the volume up and watched her intently as she sang, "I market it so goooodd, they can't wait to try-y-y-y me." Her long black weave looked flawless, her six pack was amazing, and her legs went on for days. I made a mental note to cut down on my spending for the month so I could afford to buy a pack of 20" Indian hair, hit the gym 7 (maybe even 8) days a week, and master her body roll in time for my best friend’s upcoming party. I had a long way to go!

Later on in the day, I got in my car and turned on the radio. The lyrics, “My chick bad, my chick hood, my chick do things that your chick wish she could” streamed through my radio. I love this beat! As I was dancing in my car I started to think, do I know how to do things some other girl wishes she could? Should I be able to do things some other girl wishes she could? Hmmm that must be why I don’t have a boyfriend, there aren't enough girls who envy me for being able to do the things they wish they could.

Have you ever had days like this? Where everywhere you look and everything you see seems to confirm the fact that as a girl, your worth is determined by your looks and your sexuality? Days where it seems that the only thing boys are interested in is how long your hair is, how tight your body is, and how provocatively you can dance? It is so easy to get caught up in the standard of beauty and the intense sexuality that popular culture and music portray. I mean let’s face it, it’s fun to get all dressed up and dance to lyrics like “drop down low and sweep the floor with it.” But that’s all it should be, fun! Think of these songs as mere entertainment, not a guideline on how to become a desired and beautiful girl.

So if physical appearance and sexuality don’t define a truly beautiful girl, what does?

-Her Heart
A girl with a beautiful heart is kind and thoughtful. She has an innate joy about her that makes people want to be around her. She is giving and, although she loves to pamper herself, she always finds a way to help out others.

-Her Spirit
A girl with a beautiful spirit prefers to think of the glass as half full rather than half empty. She is optimistic and enjoys the subtle humor of everyday life. She loves to laugh and takes pleasure in knowing that no matter what happens in her life, it all happens for a reason.

-Her Mind
A girl with a beautiful mind is eager to learn and open to new experiences. She is ambitious with goals for her future that she is determined to achieve. She is investigative and loves to find out new information. She doesn’t let anyone think for her and is not afraid to speak her mind.

Is it bad to want to feel pretty? Absolutely not! Is it OK to want to switch up your style, add an extra piece to your hair, or work on your fitness? Of course! The problem comes when the entirety of your energy is based on how you look and how closely your look matches the popular standard of beauty. By no means is it wrong to dance with your friends and sing a long to silly lyrics. Problems do arise, however, when every lyric from every song is taken to heart, and you start to believe that your worth is associated with how well you can "pop lock and drop it." Looks are only skin deep, but your true beauty comes from your heart, your spirit, and your mind. You, my lovely readers, are beautiful :)



-- Karissa Allen
Guest Blogger

Meet our newest guest blogger, Karissa! Karissa Allen is a graduate from the University of Southern California. She works in Operations for Smashbox Cosmetics, and hopes to return to school for her MBA within the next few years. She currently resides in Los Angeles, CA.

5 comments:

  1. Karissa,

    Thanks for sharing this. I was having one of those days myself...so thanks for reminding to stick to reality.

    <3 gina

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this post! I think we've all heard these things before, but it never hurts to be reminded! :)

    I hope you all get a chance to check out my blog too! :)

    http://www.awordorthree.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great post! so sad. I actually had an experience this week that pertained to this....I wear my hair natural, but was tired of the bun, so I decided to use the Indian Hair that I bought a while back and get a full head weave.lol I love my hair, but just wanted a change. So I'm in class Monday morning and a black guy in my class who I briefly "talked" too sent me a txt say wow you should look like that all the time and preceded to compliment me on my looks and to keep the change. at that moment I wanted to rip my weave out and yell I AM NOT MY HAIR! or any other physical feature that I'm judged on.

    Good post

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am not my hair! I listen to that song regularly lol. It really is sad, but I'm glad that you love your natural hair and can acknowledge that that boy's comments were ridiculous.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love this! It really means a lot to have someone spell this message out loudly and clearly. I'm so glad you posted this, it's beautifully written and very on point. Another good song by India.Arie regarding this topic is Beautiful Flower. It wakes me up every morning and is such a good song with beautiful positivity that resonates with you.

    @Karissa Fight on!!

    Brittany Allen

    ReplyDelete