Friday, September 24, 2010

Struggling with Stereotypes

Unfortunatly, stereotypes run rampant in the African-American community. I know you have heard the terms oreo, square, hood rat and ghetto girl, just to name a few, but I could honestly go on listing examples of derogatory ways we describe classmates, co-workers and sometimes friends. Stereotypes will always be around but as a teenager, stereotypes can have a negative affect on the way you perceive yourself and the people in your community.

One of the most dominant stereotypes is the ghetto girl. This is a stereotype that constantly appears, whether it’s in the media, at school or in our neighborhoods. In the media, especially on reality shows, we see just about any young black woman categorized as ghetto or hood. But what exactly makes her ghetto? Is it the boisterous voice, the creative choice of clothing or just because they live in a certain area? It irritates me that in our society, everything that is negative or broken is classified as ghetto. When people use the word ghetto are they also insinuating that a girl who may be strong, independent and driven is someone who is broken and cannot accomplish anything just because of the color of their skin or where they are from?

We can’t just blame people who are outside of our community for perpetuating these stereotypes because we often do it to ourselves. Have you ever heard the term oreo? Not the cookie, but the stereotype that some one is black on the outside and white on the inside. This is something I struggled with a lot growing up. I grew up in a black neighborhood, but attended predominately white schools. Often, I spoke and dressed differently than my neighborhood peers because of the schools I attended. I was very involved in my community, so I often found myself being told I was “acting white” or that I was an oreo because of my choice to use proper English instead of everyday slang. It’s hard to know that someone thinks you are any less black because of your adaptation into your surroundings.

The most important thing to remember when faced with stereotypes is to know who you are and know how to defend yourself. No, I am not saying defense as in getting into a fight with anyone who classifies you into a stereotype. However, it is important to challenge that person on what they are saying. You hear a peer say, “Ugh, that girl is so ghetto.” Ask what makes her that way and why they choose to use that terminology. Be the advocate within your peer group to stop the stereotyping or at least the one trying to help figure out why it is being used. Many times we use certain language because it’s pleasing to the crowd we are in and we just want to fit it. As you transition out of high school, you will learn that fitting into the crowd is not always the best option for you and that standing up for what you believe in is actually a more comfortable position to be in. No one enjoys the negative wrath of stereotyping , so remember to pay attention to what you say and how you say it.


-- Martine Rouzan
Brownstone Team

No comments:

Post a Comment