Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Networking 101

They say it’s all about who you know these days. No matter what your goals in life may be, it is important that you begin networking now, to position yourself for success in the future. Networking? How do I do that, where do I begin? You’re probably thinking that you don’t even know the first thing about networking or making yourself more valuable. Maybe you see yourself as too young to worry about networking, and don’t see how it can pay off for you. Don’t fret, networking can prove beneficial when you need recommendations for college applications or job applications. So don’t view networking as a chore but rather as one of the easiest steps you can take to affectively enhance your future opportunities.

Look Around You- Pastors, teachers, advisors even bosses can be good individuals to network with. As we honor black women, this Black History Month, find a woman that you find inspirational, whether she be working in a soup kitchen or at your local MAC counter.

Don’t be an Introvert- Now it might seem like you have nothing in common but just starting a conversation about the perks and hassles of the occupation can help you find common ground with the woman you want to network with.

Set Yourself Apart- Now that you’ve got the conversation started; offer a piece of information that sets you apart from the crowd. Mention volunteer work you have done or a class you are taking that really makes you excited.

Be Direct- You don’t know what opportunities may come, you just know that you want them! Make sure you exchange contact information so that you can follow up and take advantage of any opportunities given to you. Also, it is important to keep the lines of communication open between the two of you so that you show that you are serious.

Follow Up- Let your contact know that you are grateful for the chance to network and possibly gain understanding from them by sending them a thank you card. This adds an extra touch of personality for anyone looking to gain an advantage. Keep a log of who you meet and who you decide to network with, if they have a business card, HOLD ON TO IT!

This week I’ll be starting network journey with my religion teacher, Dr. Betty Long. I chose Dr.Long because of her background with leadership studies, which is a field that I am interested in. Though it has been hard to actually track her down, I am not going to give up. Best of luck to all of you also, though it might not seem like it now, these are the first steps in the long race of life. Making connections early will pay off as the building blocks to your future success.


--Amelia Jones
Brownstone Intern







3 comments:

  1. I agree that it's never too early to begin a network journey. When I was having personality issues with one of my middle school teachers, my mother told me, "The last thing you want to do is get an attitude with a teacher. The teacher has the power. What you want to do is look at the teacher as a resource." I took my mother's advice and have been rewarded with "insider" advice on summer jobs, scholarships, college programs, and organizations to join.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am the first person in my family who will attend college. Because I set up a relationship with a retired teacher on my block, I found out I didn't have to go to a community college. I will be attending a university with a lot of financial and COMMUNITY support. I would not have gotten the guidance and support I have received if I had not had a conversation about sports with a person I just thought of as an old lady.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My frirnd told me to read this. It is good advice. Yes, I will use the suggestions. VH

    ReplyDelete