Monday, February 22, 2010

Nikki Giovanni: The One Who Inspires My Voice

A woman who demands confidence despite her seemingly fragile frame, Nikki Giovanni has a voice that proudly constructs the strong presence of the Black community. She has spoken of a Black woman's sweat, tears, love, and power without any hurt in her tone. She has written of the struggle that characterized the Black Power Movement, and has used such power to argue for the civil rights of others outside the Black race. Nikki Giovanni is a name so powerful that even Kanye West referenced her in Hey Mama. Undoubtedly a notable figure as the author of numerous poetry books, a Grammy nominated album, and the inaugural poem for Barack Obama, Nikki Giovanni sincerely embodies what I myself hope to inspire in future generations: passion.

An individual to say the least, Giovanni has a 'thug' tattoo on her arm, and has even said that she "would rather be with the thugs than the people complaining about them." The recipient of twenty five honorary degrees and the first Rosa L. Parks Woman of Courage Award, Nikki Giovanni has never slowed down since the day she started her God-given path of writing. A social activist, a voice for the people, and a lung cancer survivor, she is a true inspiration.

One of my favorite poems that she's written is called Ego Tripping. If you have EVER had that day where you just feel like you aren't all that and everything more, then this poem is for you. I instantly fell in love with the way Ms. Giovanni illustrates a woman only the way a woman can. This poem makes me feel that strong, beautiful, and invincible...aka all that and everything more. When I read this poem, I feel Michael-Jackson-BAD!


Ego Tripping (There May Be a Reason Why)

I was born in the congo
I walked to the fertile crescent and built
the sphinx
I designed a pyramid so tough that a star
that only glows every one hundred years falls
into the center giving divine perfect light
I am bad

I sat on the throne
drinking nectar with allah
I got hot and sent an ice age to europe
to the cool my thirst
My oldest daughter is nefertiti
the tears from my birth pains
created the nile
I am a beautiful woman

I gazed on the forest and burned
out the sahara desert
with a packet of goat's meat
and a change of clothes
I crossed it in two hours
I am a gazelle so swift
so swift you can't catch me

For a birthday present when he was three
I gave my son hannibal an elephant
He gave me rome for mother's day
My strength flows ever on

My son noah built new/ark and
I stood proudly at the helm
as we sailed on a soft summer day
I turned myself into myself and was
jesus
men intone my loving name
All praises All praises
I am the one who would save

I sowed diamonds in my backyard
My bowels deliver uranium
the filings from my fingernails are
semi-precious jewels
On a trip north
I caught a cold and blew
My nose giving oil to the arab world
I am so hip even my errors are correct
I sailed west to reach east and had to round off
the earth as I went
The hair from my head thinned and gold was laid
across three continents

I am so perfect so divine so ethereal so surreal
I cannot be comprehended except by my permission

I mean...I...can fly
like a bird in the sky...

Now you know this poem is a point. If she didn't say it exactly the way it needed to be said, then I don't know who can do it better. Her work will live on for future generations; that much I am sure of. My words can't do her justice, but she is truly an amazing woman for the work that she has committed her life to.

The funny thing is that I was ignorant to her existence a few weeks ago. Although many of us don't admit it, the painful truth is that we don't spend time researching the people who have made positive contributions to this world in our community. We can sing every Ne-Yo lyric and ray every Jay-Z song, but we don't know about the Nikki Giovannis and countless others who have made a name for themselves working hard for this generation to have better. Our culture especially has a rich history of powerful figures besides Martin Luther King Jr. and Rosa Parks. It's 2010, and I think this Black History Month, everyone should find more black heroes to celebrate. My discovery was Nikki Giovanni - who will yours be?


--Brittany Allen
Brownstone Intern

No comments:

Post a Comment