Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Mentoring: Following in the Right Footsteps


A Little Something I Learned Along the Way

This Summer follow Guest Blogger, Keisha Hicks, as she shares advice to help you advance academically and professionally. This month Keisha talks about finding the right mentor.

What is a mentor?

A mentor is someone who is a guide. A mentor listens to you and gives truthful and positive advice. A mentor is someone who has already been where you are trying to go. A mentor can also be on their way to obtaining their goals as well.

Is there someone in your life that you admire?

Start paying attention to the things they do consistently. Who do they hang out with? Do their friends have similar goals and values? This information will tell you a lot about the person you want to be a mentor. Since a mentor/mentee relationship can become very close over time it is important to know as much about the person as possible.

In an interview Will Smith did with Kathy Hughes of TV One he said that before he brings anyone into his inner circle of friends he knows at least five people they associate with. His reason for this is knowing at least five people of their inner circle will tell you more about the person than the person. A simple way to remember this is people who believe and do similar things tend to hang together.

How do you choose a mentor?

A potential mentor can be found in your family, school, church, or social organizations. Use your social networks to put your goals out there. Making your ambitions known is the most basic way to find a mentor. Remember: A Closed Mouth Won’t Get Fed.

I am very fortunate to have the career goal of being a professor and being in college I didn’t have to look far to find African American college professors. I made sure I consistently came to class with the readings completed and with questions to ask in class. This made me stand out. This is exactly how I gained my closest and most valued mentor Dr. Robert Allen in the African American Studies Department of the University of California, Berkeley. I took his Black Nationalism course my first semester at Cal in the fall of 2002. I made an appointment with him to meet after class. In our first meeting I stated, “I want to be a college professor, but I don’t know how to get there. Will you mentor me?” He has been my most trusted and closest advisor since that day our mentor/mentee relationship will celebrate our eight-year anniversary this fall.

Are You Mentorable?

I have been a peer mentor to many Black or African American students at Cal and Cornell. I always take into consideration the following things:

a) Do I want to be associated with this person for the rest of my life? Being a mentor is a lifetime commitment.

b) What do I have to offer this person?

c) Who are they? Do they present themselves well? Keep a neat appearance.

d) Are you prepared for our meeting, meaning do you have some questions in mind or goals and objectives they want to discuss?

Not all learning comes from books.

Is there someone in your life that has wisdom? Life is the greatest teacher. Look to the Elders in your family or community they have valuable lessons to pass on. They did not get to be their age by accident. Sometimes we get busy with our lives but I would encourage you to take time out to spend with an elder. I’m just saying, any “lesson” I learned from the elders in my life always felt better than any hard knock I took on the chin.

And That’s a Little Something I Learned Along the Way.

Peace and Blessings,

Keisha


-- Keisha Hicks
Guest Blogger

No comments:

Post a Comment