Friday, November 5, 2010

What to Save and Spend on this Winter Season

Hey girls! Winter is quickly approaching and it's time to start taking better care of our hair! I know that sounds like a lot of work, but with the right tools, it’s actually really simple. All you have to is know what to splurge on and what to save on.

Shampoo: SAVE
Whenever I wash my hair, I just grab whatever is in the closest. You can buy shampoo from the dollar store or your local beauty supply store. As long as you make sure to scrub your scalp, your hair will be strong and grow healthily.

Conditioner: SPLURGE
Conditioner is the one thing that I will spend major money on. Conditioner helps tame my hair and makes detangling it so much easier. I don’t know where I would be without it and it’s the one part of my hair routine that I follow religiously. The conditioner I use is one by Paul Mitchell Instant Moisture Daily Treatment, it’s kind of pricey but it leaves my hair silky, soft, and shiny. I have to actually go to a salon to get it, but if you go online to they have a salon locator that carries the line.

Flat Iron: SPLURGE
From all of my experience with flat irons, I’ve found that if I pay for enough for one, it will last me forever! With less expensive flat irons, they work well for a while, but around the fifth or sixth time I use it, it starts to fizzle out or start to develop problems. Only after I finally bit the bullet and bought a more expensive Solia flat iron, did I notice how much longer it has lasted me. You can buy one on Amazon, for a little over $70. I know it sounds like a lot but trust me, it’s worth it.

Hair Dryer: SAVE
I know this sounds weird, spend money on a flat iron but save on a hair dryer. You would think these things go hand in hand right? Wrong. Because of all the heat you use on your hair, you should try to keep it all at a minimum. If you plan on flat ironing your hair, you should air dry your hair in a braid or up in a bun so you don’t damage your hair with unnecessary heat. If you can avoid using a hair dryer, then you should. However, I know that sometimes school or extracurriculars get in the way and you have to get your hair done quickly, so I think that you should look for less expensive hair dryers for those kinds of days. If you keep your hair drying to a minimum, a small inexpensive hair dryer will last you years! The last time I got a hair dryer I was around eight (and I still share it with my mom) so I can’t say that I have any solid suggestions, however all of my friends have said that they have gotten their hair dryers from Target and I found one that was under twenty dollars and is super cute! I’ve researched the reviews and talked to a bunch of my friends and I think that this is a great buy! They come in a bunch of different colors and I think I might pick one up from my local Target.

Hair Treatments: IT DEPENDS
I understand that taming your hair as a young African-American female can be a pain. Sometimes you just want to chemically treat it when it gets tough. Though I discourage you from doing so and embrace your natural hair texture, if you decide to do so, it does depend on what kind of results you want. If you want just a better way to tame your hair and keep the curls down, I recommend just buying a less expensive boxed treatment. But if you do decide to go that route, make sure to go online and research which boxed kits would work best with your hair type and what kinds of results you expect. Another option that would fall on the pricey side is if you want to completely get rid of your curl -something I strongly discourage! You would want to go into the salon and pay a stylist for a relaxer treatment. One thing you have to keep in mind with both of these treatment routes is that both require a lot of upkeep and you would have to touch up your roots every four to six months as your hair continues to grow, so that would eventually rack up the bill. When I was younger and I relaxed my hair, I used an olive oil based one. I found that it kept my hair straight and soft. You can buy it on Amazon for around eight dollars and it’s the best at home relaxer I’ve ever used.

There you go ladies! Everything you should save and spend on this winter season! I hope you all have fabulous holidays and winter fun!




-- Alexandra Scott (Berkeley High School, Age 16)
Jr Correspondent

No comments:

Post a Comment