Friday, July 30, 2010

Brownstone Women's Spotlight: A Profile of Myshell Tabu

Dance, Design, Devoted

Meeting Myshell for the first time in 2005 and getting to know her throughout the years, for me, is a constant reminder that God places people in your life for a reason. I met Myshell through my sister Evan, who I can always trust to befriend “strong, black women…with a twist.” For Myshell, this “twist” represents her free spirit, her artistic talents, her uniqueness, her authenticity and her courage to truly be herself. I appreciate her qualities because they’ve made such a difference in my life and in the lives of others. She is my friend, my client, my graphic designer and on many a day, my confidant. If I am ever unsure about anything, need advice or simply the freedom and space to be myself, Myshell is always there to open up her heart and her home, and today, Brownstone is thrilled to be invited into the journey of Mrs. Myshell Tabu.
Kyle Holland (KH): Myshell, tell us a how your career got started…

Myshell Tabu (MT): Well, I always loved expressing myself through dance so I began teaching tap dance at age 14. I opened my own studio when I was 22, and later decided to close it to pursue other things. I was looking for new and varied experiences but at the same time wanted to stay true to myself. I'm now a graphic designer and blogger. My company is called Suuru and I started it in 2008 shortly after my mother died. Suuru is an organic graphic design company and it allows me to help people and organizations whether it’s providing brand development, marketing and campaign materials, invitations, logos, anything! Plus, Suuru is eco-friendly, which also means a lot to me.

KH: How did you get into graphic design?

MT: I started doing design materials and marketing when I worked in the executive office at
Lula Washington Dance Theatre. That's where I really honed my skills as a designer. I didn't go to school for it at all.

KH: And from there, how did you build your design company?

MT: When I left Lula's a few years back, people continued to ask me to design things for them. I love to design and I had run my own business in the past, so I decided that forming an online business, with essentially no overhead, would be a piece of cake. I filed for a DBA (Doing Business As), designed my site and threw a launch party. It was really fun and it gave my business enough exposure to kick start my clientele.

KH: What were some of the obstacles you experienced along the way?

MT: The recession hit shortly after I started my business, but I used it as a chance to rebuild, redesign, and plan a different direction for my company. I even changed the name from its former "Supasista Designs" to "Suuru Design Company" and launched a whole new site. Sometimes obstacles are just opportunities to look at things and regroup.

KH: What are some of your future goals?

MT: I plan to continue to offer discounts to non-profits and individuals and use my corporate projects to survive. I may not design forever, but whatever my next venture is will receive just as much attention and make me just as happy. I want to act. That's a really big passion of mine, but right now, I'm giving my children my best during their formative years. I'll pursue an acting career on the side eventually. You can always see what I'm up to at myshelltabu.com

KH: At Brownstone our goal is to empower young girls, what women have inspired you along the way?

MT: My mother was a great inspiration. She taught me to work hard, be good to the planet, and seek happiness in all things.

KH: What were you like as a teenager?

MT: I was a wild and crazy teen with a 4.3 grade average. How I balanced ditching parties and acing exams was interesting to say the least. If I could go back I'd do some things differently. But overall, I was respectful, hardworking and very confused.

KH: Yea I was a confused teenager too lol!

KH: This month, we're talking about dating. What was dating like for you as a teen?

MT: I had a steady boyfriend for about two years. I lost my virginity to him and I learned a lot about myself from that relationship. I ended up leaving him though because he wasn't ambitious enough for me. I was on a path to excellence and he was headed to nowhere land. I was smart enough to let that go, but it was NOT easy. I loved him very much, but not more than I loved myself or God.

KH:What advice do you have for our Brownstone readers?

MT: I would say, once you choose where you're going, exclude the people who don't fit into that vision. You're not obligated to be anyone's friend no matter how long you've known them. Sometimes it's not until you let the losers go, that you can really shine and blossom.

KH: That is true

MT: Yea, sometimes we keep the same friends, because we've had them for so long. After high school, I had to let go of so many friends, who didn't support me, weren't there for me, or weren't going anywhere. You don't have to dis them, but just call them less, and put them on your back burner, so that you can invite in new friends, who care and are worth something. You'll be happy if you choose happy friends. Some of my high school friends were pregnant that next year, and that wasn't my path.

MT: …another thing I'd say to Brownstone readers is don't put anything you'll regret on the Internet. Your teen years are recorded via social networking in a way that mine never was. People don't know anything about my teen years that I don't tell them first. But now, once you post a half naked pic on Facebook, it's there forever. Cache lives on; people take screenshots and people save images to blackmail you. Be very careful with your reputation. You only get one!

KH: That’s awesome advice. I know our readers will take something away from that. Thank you once again for your honesty and time…I’ll see ya around!



Kyle Holland
--Browntstone Team




No comments:

Post a Comment