Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Editor's Choice: I Love My Hair T-Shirt



It's very rare that we see cartoon characters that look like us and portray us in a positive light. In fact, I haven't seen a black cartoon show for kids since Disney's The Proud Family. So, I was very excited to see Sesame Street's "I Love My Hair Video" last Fall. For me it was great to see a children's program bring such an important issue for Black women to mainstream television. Many Black women struggle with their hair and it is crucial that we teach young women like yourself to embrace their hair at an early age. Plus, I think that it teaches other cultures to respect other differences. I especially love that little Black girls can see a cartoon character that looks like them and loves her hair.

As we've discussed numerous times on the blog, hair is a huge part of our identity. Chris Rock explored the topic in his documentary Good Hair and India Arie has made it clear that she is not her hair. We know that we should embrace our hair...no matter if it's natural or pressed, curly or straight, growing out of our head or sown on! But it isn't always easy to be confident about your choice when you have people telling you that one way is more right than the other...

That's why I was excited to see that there is an "I Love My Hair" T-shirt available online for $25. I soooo want one for myself to show that I too am proud of my hair! I get my hair pressed every 2 weeks. I don't wear my hair natural (wish I could...not knocking anybody who does) and I'm okay with that. You don't have to announce it to the world, but I think it's cool that you can rock a shirt to show your appreciation for a unique part of yourself. The shirt is super cute!





-- Tymika Morrison
Brownstone Team

3 comments:

  1. pleas check out BLACK HAIR documentary on youtube...explores the Korean Take-over of the Black Hair biz
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p96aaTSdrAE

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the shirt!
    Where online can I buy this t-shirt?

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOVE them! I wish I would have gotten this instead of the cricut..:)
    Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete