Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Brownstone Women's Spotlight: A Profile of Nicole Gray

Ring the Alarm: There's a New Sheriff in Town!

This month’s feature is a near and dear friend of mine. I call her “Fav” because she is my ride or die friend who has just always had my back. Nicole Gray is one of the most humble, loyal, and strongest women I know. Although it took me by surprise, it was only natural for Nikki to enter into one of the toughest professions to help people. At 25, Nikki is currently a deputy at the Century Regional Detention Facility in Southern California. She never ceases to amaze me with her relentless strength (physically and spiritually) and I hope that her story will empower you too. Meet my fav, Deputy Gray.

Tymika Morrison (TM): You’ve been a sheriff for over a year now. Congratulations! What made you want to become a sheriff?

Nicole Gray (NG): Honestly, I never thought that I would become a sheriff. I actually decided that I wanted to be a detective because I knew that I wanted to help people by solving crimes. I did a lot of praying and research about it and found out that becoming a sheriff was the first step into going into that direction.

TM: What type of training did you have to go through?

NG: First, I went through a background process which took about 8 months to a year. Then I had to take several exams that included writing, oral, physical and polygraph tests. Next, I went through another background check where they interviewed family, neighbors, and previous employers to get a feel for the type of person I was. After that I spent 16 weeks in a high stress academy. It was a lot of work and yelling. I had to participate in daily morning workouts, take law enforcement tests, qualify for shooting, and was pepper sprayed amoung many other things. Training was tough, but ironically I miss it. That was the best shape I’ve been in my life. I don’t miss getting up early though. That part was kind of rough.


TM: Was there ever a moment when you wanted to quit?

NG: Several. I'm at a women's facility working with women. Women are a lot harder to deal with than men. Men are more laid back. They worry about themselves. Women are more petty. There have been times when I have asked the question "Why am I here? Why am I doing this?" Then God says that I have you here for a reason. When inmates come to me and say "You've changed my life" I know I'm doing this for a reason.

TM: What about during the academy?

NG: The academy was fun. I was pushed physically a lot. I had already been through a high stress situation, so I didn't have problems. I loved it!

TM: What is a typical day for you like on the job?

NG: I have the early morning (em) shift. I have to do a wrist band count of all 124 inmates in my module. Once I notify that the count is good, it's pretty much lights out. I make sure that the inmates are behaving and that no fights break out. Then I wait until the inmates have court time. I get them up, feed them, and get them ready for their court appearance. There are also certain reports that need to be filled out on occasion.

TM: Do you ever fear for your life?

NG: I don't say that I fear for my life. I'm always cautious of my surroundings. You're pretty much outnumbered by the women, so you have to be confident and have a commander pressence. I've never been scared that "Oh, she's going to jump me" because they respect me.

TM: How is it working in a male dominated field?

NG: There are a low percentage of women and even lower percentage of black women, which makes you stand out. Therefore you have to work hard. There is a stigma that being in law enforcement is "man's work." That women won't be able to work as effective as man. But, I haven't experienced discrimination or racism. All I do is work hard. Actions speak louder than words. All I can do is be accountable for myself.

TM: What the best part of your job? What’s the least favorite thing about your job?

NG: The best part is knowing that I'm having some type of impact on women. Even if it's just one or two. Just knowing that I helped that one person see something in a different light makes me feel good. My least favorite part is seeing what people do to themselves. You get the worst of the worst. There are a lot of black and hispanics in our facility. It's depressing to see what our people are doing with their lives. Some are selling their bodies, taking lives, gang banging, etc. It can wear you down, but at the same time makes you realize how blessed you are. So actually the worst thing is the best thing because it's allowed me to appreciate the opportunities I've been given.

TM: At Brownstone we hope to inspire young girls to one day become bold women. What women have inspired you?

NG: First and foremost, my mother. She's one of my best friends. She has taught me to work hard. She's been my personal cheerleader and has encouraged me to do what I want to do whether it's a man's job or not. She's my role model. She has the heart of Mother Theresa. She has shown me what a real woman is about. She continues to sacrifice for her kids and family. When you at look at someone who tries to give everything to their family even when they know they don't have it...it's inspiring. If I can be half the mother she is, I know I'll be in good shape.

TM: Being a teenager is a lot different these days, what were you like as a teenager?

NG: I was a square, very reserved. I wasn't into going to the hottest parties. I concentrated a lot on school. I had a couple boyfriends here and there, but nothing too serious. I was very focused. At 16, I had my first job working at a bank making $8/hr. At the time that was a lot because it was above minimum wage. I was making money and that was the good life. Overall, I had fun in high school.

TM: As a young girl, did you see yourself wanting to be a sheriff?

NG: Not at all! I went through a lot of changes. At first it was a nurse, then a teacher. I told myself I was going to be math teacher because I was really good at math. Then in college, I wanted to be an attorney. The last thing on my list was to become a cop. I liked watching cop shows, but I always thought I was too scary.

TM: For the month of June, we’ve been talking about fun things to do during the summer. Do you have any fun summer plans?

NG: I'm getting married this summer and that's going to be pretty fun. We're going to Aruba for our honeymoon. So, I'm excited to go to another country and experience something new. I may also go to amusement park. Go to Disneyland and hang out with Mickey and Minnie.

TM: Lol! Last, do you have any advice for our Brownstone readers?

NG: Work hard and don't let anybody stop you from achieving your goals. If I can become a deputy, anybody can! Don't be too timid to face your dreams. Nothing is out of your reach!



--Tymika Morrison
Brownstone Team





No comments:

Post a Comment