Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Decisions, Decisions...

As a kid, you’re asked pretty often “What do you want to be when you grow up?” I never had a real answer to that question. I used to always say “doctor” just because it sounded good. It would impress people.

But, as you get older, you are expected to have more of a solid idea. A lot of students start college & immediately have a plan, know exactly what they want to major in, and get going. But, for some people (me included) it’s not always that clear. You’re still figuring out what you want to be.

I used to wish I were one of those people who would say things like, “Ever since I was a kid, I just knew I wanted to be a dentist… I just knew I wanted to be a dancer… I just knew I was going to be a teacher…” and so forth. Sometimes, it takes a while before it comes to you. But, if you’re in high school or college & you still haven’t a clue, here are some things I learned along the way that may help you as you figure it out:

Figure out what you’re good at and foster it. I’ve always been somewhat creative and I knew this about myself. I love writing, so I write often. What are your hobbies? If you enjoy drawing or singing or even math, try to be the best you can at it. You never know where it can lead you. You may even be able to make a living off of it.

Participate in activities that are related to what you like. Most schools have a lot of options for extra-curricular activities, like: the school paper, athletic teams, choir/chorus, debate team, student government, etc. There may be a group or club at your school whose specialty is something you’re interested in. If so, join them! You never know what you’ll figure out from it.

Research majors. Before you begin applying to colleges, take a look to see what majors they offer and what the requirements are for you to graduate in that concentration. It may help to match up your skills/talents with classes you have to take to major in a certain area. Looking at the kinds of majors the schools are offering can also give you some ideas.

Take general requirements. If you are applying for college or starting your freshman year, it’s okay to go in as an undeclared major. But, in the mean time, take those classes that are general requirements for all students. No matter if you end up majoring in music, engineering, communications, or pre-law, General Education requirements are… well… required. (Or, “Gen-Eds” as we called them at my school – UIUC, holla!) Those classes included things like math, science, english, and history. In order to maximize your time there if you’re undecided, load up on Gen-Eds. It will help you to stay on track to graduating on time.

Research careers that may interest you. One thing I realized is that there are a LOT of different careers out there; some that might be really interesting to you that you may not even know about! Once I realized I wanted to work in television, I then had to figure out exactly what it was that I wanted to do & what I was skilled at doing. My graduate school (shout out to Syracuse) really helped me figure that out. So even if you think you may like, for example, law, find out the various types of careers or specializations there are within law. You may be able to pinpoint something that will spark your interest.

Talk to people who do what you might like to do. These people usually offer so much wisdom & insight. Seek out someone who does what you’re considering & reach out to them if you can. Ask questions about their experiences. Who knows, they may even be able to help you out in the future. ;)

Much success to you all!



-- Chevonne Collins
Guest Blogger

No comments:

Post a Comment