Monday, October 11, 2010

I Am Not My Hair

There is an old saying that "a woman’s hair defines her beauty." Back in the day, if a woman cut her hair or put chemicals on her hair, she was considered ugly or unsuitable compared to a woman who had natural hair or hair that was longer. It was like you were shunned or looked down upon if you shaved your head or wanted a short bob or short hair style. It was considered butch and unfeminine. Now in days this saying or "rule" might not be as strictly used as today. Fashion icons such as Rihanna and Halle Berry embrace the idea of changing your hair and showing that short hair can be just as versatile and sexy as longer hair. But this concept of hair and what is considered “beautiful hair or nice hair” still exist today. Women are stereotyped and receive different attention from their hair style they choose or prefer to have. Women are either looked highly upon because of their hair and are well accepted in this society or they aren’t. Why are we defined by our hair? Why is hair so important?

Our hair defines us. It’s an emotional attachment that is very hard to get rid of. It’s like a security blanket that we can hide under or embrace it. In this society, we are first off judged by our looks and appearances, our hygiene and how we dress. But what I have noticed most is that African American women seem to be defined and put into categories because of their hair. It’s kind of like “hair profiling.” Unfortunately, we as women are judged by our hair. In this society where media has become a major influence in urban culture, it seems like weaves, permed hair or straight is widely accepted more than those who like to wear their hair natural, big and kinky. You can even see it for yourself such as in commercials and other advertisements. In these commercials most of their advertisements are about taming your hair and getting it as straight as possible. I find it hard to find a style mogul or celebrity who sticks to herself and embraces the natural texture of her hair. It seems like the era of Chaka Khan and Tina Turner are dying off and the era of Melanie Fiona and Lauren London are striving and growing.

As women we are perceived by our hair, we receive different attention by the way we wear our hair. I have even experienced this myself. I like to change up my hair a lot. I like to be versatile and tend to change up a style about every week or so. I have noticed either myself or by watching my peers and other women around me that their hairstyle reflects their mood and the attention they get. It seems like this society is very bias about natural hair and big hair. I even at times am bias about a certain style for a certain occasion. I have noticed for special occasions a lot of women tend to go for straight hair as opposed to wearing their hair in an afro or in kinky curls. I even do this myself, for dances and parties as well as for interviews; I go for straight hair. We as women can also be bias to certain hair types and not even know that we are being bias. We match up certain outfits to hair types. If I wanted to look descent and more fancy or classy with the outfit I was wearing I would go for straight hair rather than go for my wavy locks.

The way you wear your hair can say a lot about a person. People automatically look at you and how you look, dress and carry yourself and make assumptions and overall judge you because of your appearance. You get certain attention just by your hair and what you wear. I have been turned down when I wear braids or my hair kinky as well as not looked at as beautiful as my peers who tend to straighten their hair more often than I do. I hate being judged by my hair. Even in professional settings we are looked down upon. In going around and applying for jobs I would straighten my hair and not wear it naturals as to not be looked down upon or accepted in that setting. This is how people would look at your hair and these are some of the assumptions they would make.



Curly/Kinky Hair
This person tends to be more natural and have a natural/bohemian type of style. They can also have a very laid back or jazz type of style. They are very versatile with their hair and style.





Straight Hair
This person tends to be very classy and fancy. Like to dress up all the time, even if they were just running errands. Like to look good, and always stay on top of trends.




Edgy/Short Hair Cuts
This person tends to take risks with their style and with their hair. They don’t like to stick to one type of trend, they have an edgier style and like to change up their hair/style very often.


Overall, we as women and people are always going to be judged on our looks and appearances but, we don’t have to accept what the media says or how/what media wants us to look or act like. If we prefer curly/kinky hair, like I do, I say embrace it and work with it to the best of your ability. You can work kinky hair to a party/function just as well as working straight hair. You can feel just as confident and trendy in this style just as much as any other style. If you prefer straight hair, I say go for it, it’s all up to you and what you like. Be original and lastly just know you shouldn’t be defined by your hair because you are not your hair. You are defined by being you. Yourself.


-- Jamiah LaShay (Berkeley High School, Age 16)
Jr Correspondent

1 comment:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete