Monday, January 31, 2011

Brownstone Women's Spotlight: A Profile of Lisa Hampton

The stars will always shine, the birds will always sing

As long as there is thirst, there's always the real thing

Coca-cola is always the one

Whenever there is fun, there's always Coca-Cola

She’s got the Coke smile, the Coke realness, and the Coke spirit. Even better, she’s got a Coke job! Everyone, I’d like you to meet Mrs. Lisa Michelle Hampton, Account Manager for the world’s largest producer and distributor, Coca-Cola. As we can imagine, Coke’s mission is to “refresh the world, inspire moments of optimism and happiness, create value and make a difference.” In my opinion, Coke couldn’t have chosen a better woman of color to represent and embody its purpose. See for yourself!

Kyle Holland (KH): Lisa, the Brownstone team and I first want to thank you for allowing us to feature you this month. We really feel that our readers could learn a lot from your experiences and goals…so thank you!

Lisa Hampton (LH): (huge smile)

KH: Let’s start with Coke, since it’s currently such a major part of your life. What is your position and explain to us a bit what you do?

LH: Well, I’m an Account Manager, which at Coke, means that I manage the pricing, delivery and brand marketing of our Coke products all over. From malls, movie theaters and restaurants, to mom and pop auto shops and even prisons. I also manage accounts at college campuses, which I’m really excited about.

KH: Sounds fun... did you have any idea you’d be an Account Manager for such a great company?

LH: No clue! I fell into the industry directly after college. I started off with Pepsi with an amazing deal and here I am now. I’ve been in the industry for almost 4 years now…wow how time flies!

KH: So with all your responsibilities at work, who helps you hold it all together?

LH: My husband, Brandon. I honestly couldn’t do it alone. He’s my support. He sees the happy me, the sad me…and everything else in between, lol. He’s the one who puts me back together every day.

KH: Besides Brandon, who else keeps you motivated?

LH: Jesus, definitely! I grew up in the church and in a strong faith based family and I know that it’s because of Him that I’m where I am today.

KH: What church did you attend?

LH: Faithful Central Bible Church in Inglewood.

KH: Did you ever feel like you were living a double life, growing up as a “church girl” and also a part of the “in crowd” at school?

LH: Not at all. I had a lot of friends in school. I was student body secretary and Homecoming queen, but I was also on the usher board. My church family has always been great. They actually call me an honorary usher because I’m a mommy now…they gave me the title when I got pregnant and couldn’t stand in the aisle at church anymore…lol.

KH: That’s hilarious! And how is being a mom so far?

LH: You know, everyone says your world changes when you have a child. And they’re not wrong. My world did go from all about me, to all about my son. But for me, that’s not a negative thing. It baffles me everyday how much I love my son. It’s crazy how much love a person could have for their child. He’s 2 ½ now and I’ve enjoyed every bit of him.

KH: Do you think motherhood is something you learned, or have you been teaching yourself along the way?

LH: For me, it started when I was a child. It started from my mom and how she’d handle me and my brother and sister in all kinds of situations. My mother is no longer with me, but I use her when I’m teaching my kid. She was and still is my biggest role model. She was my best friend. I, still to this day, admire her and look to her strength. I watched how she would wake up, tend to a husband, 3 kids, work a full day, and come home and do it all over again…every day. I hope I can be ½ the mother she was to me, to my children.

KH: How did your mom pass?

LH:
From lung cancer. This August will be the 6th year since God took her home. I still can’t believe it. That by far has been and still is the biggest adjustment I’ve had to make. Learning to live life without my mom has been a struggle to say the least.

KH:
How do you deal with it?

LH: Friends, family and ultimately Jesus. I feel God has intentionally placed people in my life, like you, who continuously offer words of encouragement and unconditional love. That alone helps me get through the day.

KH: Lol…one thing I loved about your mom was how funny she was, even when she didn’t realize it.

LH: LOL! Me too…yea, my college experience was the best and worst time of my life. On one hand, I left my parents, my family and all that I knew, to embark on a journey. Yet, on the other hand, it gave me a chance to learn more about myself and life in general. Plus, I grew even closer to you and Kristin. We had so many good times. I used to love staying up until 2 and 3 in the morning with you guys just laughing feeling free. I got to take all kinds of classes…classes that I didn’t think existed. I went to an opera for the very first time at the San Francisco Opera House for my Music 132 class, and I studied the history and culture behind prostitution in my Sociology of Prostitution course. But my life completely changed when I lost my mom. My best friend was gone. I don’t even have the words to express how devastating that time period was for me. But I knew she would want me to return to school and finish strong…so I did. And looking back I’m so proud of myself for accomplishing all that I did, especially given the circumstances.

KH: I agree, your college experience was definitely filled with ups and downs. If you hadn’t gone to college, what would you have liked to become?

LH: An actress!

KH: What woman of color influenced you the most when it came to pursuing this dream?

LH: Halle Berry. Mainly because she’s half black and half white, just like me. So, seeing someone of mixed race made me feel like it was possible. She always seemed positive and respectful and that’s what I wanted the world to know about me.

KH: Was it hard growing up mixed?

LH: In some instances, yes. Overall, it wasn’t something that kept me from living life, but it definitely helped shape who I am. I would go to Wichita, Kansas to visit family and be the darkest one in the whole city, having to answer questions like, “why are you so dark?” Then, I would come back to LA and be called a “light bright.” So, it definitely taught me a lot about balance and appreciating and loving both sides of my family.

KH: What advice can you offer our Brownstone readers?

LH: …This advice to myself as well. Never stop dreaming. Never give up because you never know what God has in store. No matter what life throws you, always hold on to your dreams.

KH: That’s awesome. Thank you showing our Brownstone readers who you are. I have personally seen you blossom into your best self, despite it ALL. Your faith in God and zest for life is something I know our readers can apply to their own lives. Please continue to “refresh the world, inspire moments of optimism and happiness, create value and make a difference,” cuz we all need you!

LH: Will do!



--Kyle Holland
Brownstone Team

No comments:

Post a Comment