Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Prom 101: How to Show Up and Show Out

Prom is one of the last major events before the end of the school year, and it’s your chance to go out with a bang. If you’re not a graduating senior, there’s always next year to make that big impression, but let me tell you from personal experience: nothing is worse than walking into prom and seeing not one, but two other girls wearing YOUR dress. That’s why the number one dress rule is, find something you love and make the entire look your own. This can be done with accessories, shoes, your purse, etc. Create a look that makes you feel like the belle of the ball. (For example: Yes, two other girls were wearing my dress. But I had the perfect clip in my hair that tied together the dress, the shoes, AND the bag. In other words, I had an entire look from head to toe, so that although I wasn’t in an original dress, I pulled it off in my own way.)

YOU Know What’s Best, Not the Sales Representative:
Although my senior prom was a few years ago, I couldn’t help but get excited when I went looking again to see what was out there for Prom 2010. One sales lady did get overly excited and suggest to me and my friend dresses that we wouldn’t be caught dead in, but I could understand her enthusiasm. That’s another good thing to be aware of: sales representatives have a priority to SELL. Whether or not you are completely in love with the dress may not be their main concern and their enthusiasm for the product can seem so overwhelming that you just want them to shut up and so you agree to get the dress. PLEASE DON’T LET ANYONE PRESSURE YOU INTO BUYING A DRESS YOU DO NOT ABSOLUTELY LOVE. You’re the one taking the pictures and you have to be comfortable in the dress all night.

Something for Everyone:
This season, designers really let their creativity flow freely, and there is no reason why anybody should be looking for the perfect black dress. (Black is perfectly OK too, but don’t feel limited or forced to default to a simple black dress.) It’s spring and the colors are too beautiful to resist. Most of what I found came in deep, rich jewel tones of emerald, purple, magenta, and various blues, but there were even dresses in soft pastels. Bright, almost highlighter shades of pink, orange, and yellow are out there as well. And not all dresses are limited to one color; some feature a dual-tone of one color or are printed with floral as well. Something to notice besides color is the attention to detail. After doing my research online before I went to the mall (a good idea), I found that this season’s theme is Grecian Goddess. Dresses are very flowy and can have draping either toward the bottom or the bust area. A lot of the dresses are long as compared to previous years’ obsession with how short a dress can be before it reveals too much. There’s a (much-needed) return to the classic side of beauty. Of course, there are short dresses as well because everyone likes something different, but there are good options for something subtler as well. Whether long or short, each dress has a unique look to it. Like I said, details are in this year and diamond embellishments are popular. The bodice is a common place to find a rhinestone studded belt or even an elegant bow. Another area of detail is the bust area strapless dresses, or even in the straps themselves, as one-strap options have made their way back into the spotlight.
Whichever dress you do end up choosing, I’m sure you will be an individual, as there are so many options to choose from. (Sadly, This isn’t something I can say of the Prom 2008 selections). And for those of you who don’t want the overly feminized options, don’t worry because simple isn’t hard to find either. The emphasis on classic beauty means that dresses aren’t following every trend all at the same time. The simple strapless or halter in your favorite color is always a safe bet.

Where to Look:
When I went shopping with my friend, we went into a lot of stores to get a general feel for what each store was offering. One girl we ran into in Fox Hills Mall said that she was indeed "looking for that perfect prom dress – not something that a Disney princess would wear, but something that I can feel pretty in without having to show my whole body OR be too conservative." She happened to be trying on a silhouette-emphasizing, long, black, gold, and cream dress that did everything she described. It didn’t SHOW all of her, but it did hug her curves in an appropriate way. It was classy – not too revealing, but not something her mom could wear. While in Fox Hills Mall (Los Angeles), I visited Macy's, Forever 21, and Michelle D. Here are some pictures of me and my friend!
$42.80 (Forever 21)

$200

$120

$39.80 (Forever 21)

Take Home Message:
So in summary, the first thing you should do is a little bit of online shopping before you go to the mall just to get a feel for what you think you might like. And when you do get there, don’t be afraid to say NO to what you don’t like. Be open to trying on new colors and styles because you’ll have plenty of options, but don’t be afraid to be assertive with the overly aggressive sales reps. Find a style and fit that you feel comfortable in and that you can see yourself in for the whole night, not just the 10 minutes of picture taking before you leave. And in terms of price, some feel that a prom dress is an investment in one of the happiest memories of high school. At the same time, it is only one night. Most parents don’t want to pay an arm and a leg, but a good compromise to get the dress that you’ve always wanted that may be more expensive, is to pay for a little bit yourself. Or offer to buy the shoes, purse, or accessories. Simply stated, confidence is the best accessory. From my own prom experience, two other girls had my dress, but I ‘knew’ (or felt) that I wore it the best. So, for Prom 2010, do you and dance the night away. You only get 1!




--Brittany Allen
Brownstone Intern

No comments:

Post a Comment